Friday, February 20, 2009

Curing a cold?

I've had this cold to deal with for a few days. It's not often that I get sick, so when I do, it's really big. Fortunately, I've been able to mitigate the impact of it. I used to just overdose on Vitamin C when I got sick, and I still do, but I've also taken up the antioxidant trend. Living in New York with all sorts of pollutants, who knows what's getting into my system?

I moved here almost four years ago, and I'll never forget developing a hacking cough so bad that I was told to go home from work and rest. Now, since that never happens, I figured I definitely needed to see a doctor, and having no insurance, I went to the cheapest doctor I could find, shelled out the $150 office visit fee (if I hadn't been working, it would have been only $30), only to have the doctor tell me it was an allergy. I asked him if he was sure, since I had never heard of a coughing allergy, but he was certain. Allergies were something I was used to, but not like this.

Fortunately, I had the good fortune of learning about free radicals - where they come from, what they do to your system, and how to deal with it. And thanks to an isotonic form of pycnogenol, I've been able to stem the tide of free radicals that have exacerbated my allergies in the past few years. I drink a shot of it on the first sneeze, and almost instantly, allergy symptoms are gone!

I also have been taking an açai supplement for the past couple weeks (inspired by the "two weeks to a flat stomach" ads), and it's boosted my energy, but I looked at the side of the bottle, and sure enough, it said it also promotes a positive immune response.

And, of course, there's good old fashioned Vitamin C. :-)

In any case, I'm almost got this out of my system. I'll give you the final update in a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment